Was feeling a bit under the weather over the weekend so I didn't get as much done on her as I would have liked but I did finish the paint overs and did several test renders on the normals to see if there were any glaring issues. I did a test run reducing the mesh down and got it to about 9k polys with little problem.
I was frustrated with another project I was working on so yesterday I started tooling around in zbrush and this is what I got, 6 hours later. I'm really loving this gal so I am going to see her through to texturing etc. These were just test renders I took today for paintovers later.
This sculpt took me about 6 hours, but I was also trying out a whole set of new techniques for the first time. Really got my subtool workflow down and I'm super happy with how everthing has turned out so far. I am not quite done with all of her details just yet, but I should be finished today. Today I'm also going to start doing quicky paint overs to test colors and patterns to see how I want to texture this up. Right now the entire mesh is sitting at around 8.4 million polys and I want to try to get the entire thing down to about 13k polys(excluding the stand). Then I'll do some nice bakes and get it game ready with all the proper maps etc.
I didn't do a proper light pass because it would take almost 4 hours to render out the movie on my comp and it just locks everything up, but this gives you a good idea of what the full model looks like :D
Yesterday's Spitpaints I didn't get to post in time: 30 mins each as well.
Sculpted up Kreia for today's spitsculpt theme. I hadn't done one in a while and I need more human face practice so it was a good go.
Paintovers on the original render. So probably about 3 hours of work total
Was reading through my old book of Lovecraft short stories and was a bit inspried by the river of blood. I really like this technique for painting and will probably try it some more for more horror oriented designs.
I was in the mood to speed paint all day, so I decided to practice doing rock textures as well as play around with lighting and color to see how I could change the mood of a simple image.
I did the base rocks in about two hours:
I decided to paint on different layers, and make variations on the rocks to see how I could change the initial image.
This guy started out as a really quick 15 min sketch back in November. I just loved his lips and derpy expression so much that I wanted to see if I could bring him into 3D. When I found out about the Blizzard Character contest I thought it would be a great reason to push his design and really have fun with a painterly texture style.
Step 1. Concept
The initial sketch and a quick 20 min color/light study. I had a pretty good idea of what colors I wanted him to have so this was a pretty fast process. I grew up always having some sort of freshwater tank in the house and always loved the colorful catfish-type breeds you could get. At first I played around with the idea of him having more muddy colors like a real catfish, but decided that if he was an NPC you were trying to find underwater from a distance, than I wanted you to be able to see specs of color from afar. I didn't want him to totally pop out, but I didn't want him to blend into a watery blue blur.
2. Next I did a very basic body sculpt in Zbrush(render from Maromset):
I knew I wanted to flesh out a lot of his details with cards and simple geo but I wasn't quite sure how I wanted his tail fin to look; should it be thick or long and flowy? I thought the spikes on his tail in the initial design was a little too much so I dropped them. I saved out this sculpt as a base, and then retopo'd it in zbrush, getting the base body down to about 3k polys. I also didn't want this to get pushed too far into realism so I held back on a lot of the smaller details; I would fill those in via texture painting. This gave me a good base for the face details to generate a basic grayscale map from a baked normal map that I could use as a paintover guide.
3. Uving and building out decor detail geo
After I got the model where I wanted it to be geo-wise, I built out all the extra details and decorations.
I cut the main body in half, and cut UV seams for how I wanted the geo laid out:
Once I had all the geo laid out I went ahead and started painting in the texture. I started with a flat color laid over the normal map I baked out from the original zbrush sculpt:
From start to finish this guy took me two weeks, working 2-3 hours a day.
I feel like I'm leaving out a million in-between steps but these are the big chunks of process I used to create this guy. I ended up creating a full map set for him, for more professional renders outside of what was required for the Blizzard contest. The Blizzard version was only rendered out with a diffuse map. This version has a diffuse, spec, normal, and emissive map applied but the same polycount.
Maya 2014 student edition
|Jen Melnick3d Artist and Illustrator||
All Images Copyright © 2011-2016 Jennifer Leigh Melnick.