I'm working on a couple of larger, longer projects that I'm not quite ready yet to show but I've also done some smaller work as well:
This is a ship design I've had kicking in my head for a week or so. I really loved doing this and have a bunch more designs I'm working on atm.
This is a 2 hour sculpt I did that I'm going to use as head texture practice.
This is a set of business cards I made for a friend that I have been casually working on a new mobile game with the past 4 months or so. The Company is Hyperbot Games. Paul is a game designer/programmer I went to school with:
I was frustrated with another project I was working on so yesterday I started tooling around in zbrush and this is what I got, 6 hours later. I'm really loving this gal so I am going to see her through to texturing etc. These were just test renders I took today for paintovers later.
This sculpt took me about 6 hours, but I was also trying out a whole set of new techniques for the first time. Really got my subtool workflow down and I'm super happy with how everthing has turned out so far. I am not quite done with all of her details just yet, but I should be finished today. Today I'm also going to start doing quicky paint overs to test colors and patterns to see how I want to texture this up. Right now the entire mesh is sitting at around 8.4 million polys and I want to try to get the entire thing down to about 13k polys(excluding the stand). Then I'll do some nice bakes and get it game ready with all the proper maps etc.
I didn't do a proper light pass because it would take almost 4 hours to render out the movie on my comp and it just locks everything up, but this gives you a good idea of what the full model looks like :D
Sculpted up Kreia for today's spitsculpt theme. I hadn't done one in a while and I need more human face practice so it was a good go.
Paintovers on the original render. So probably about 3 hours of work total
This guy started out as a really quick 15 min sketch back in November. I just loved his lips and derpy expression so much that I wanted to see if I could bring him into 3D. When I found out about the Blizzard Character contest I thought it would be a great reason to push his design and really have fun with a painterly texture style.
Step 1. Concept
The initial sketch and a quick 20 min color/light study. I had a pretty good idea of what colors I wanted him to have so this was a pretty fast process. I grew up always having some sort of freshwater tank in the house and always loved the colorful catfish-type breeds you could get. At first I played around with the idea of him having more muddy colors like a real catfish, but decided that if he was an NPC you were trying to find underwater from a distance, than I wanted you to be able to see specs of color from afar. I didn't want him to totally pop out, but I didn't want him to blend into a watery blue blur.
2. Next I did a very basic body sculpt in Zbrush(render from Maromset):
I knew I wanted to flesh out a lot of his details with cards and simple geo but I wasn't quite sure how I wanted his tail fin to look; should it be thick or long and flowy? I thought the spikes on his tail in the initial design was a little too much so I dropped them. I saved out this sculpt as a base, and then retopo'd it in zbrush, getting the base body down to about 3k polys. I also didn't want this to get pushed too far into realism so I held back on a lot of the smaller details; I would fill those in via texture painting. This gave me a good base for the face details to generate a basic grayscale map from a baked normal map that I could use as a paintover guide.
3. Uving and building out decor detail geo
After I got the model where I wanted it to be geo-wise, I built out all the extra details and decorations.
I cut the main body in half, and cut UV seams for how I wanted the geo laid out:
Once I had all the geo laid out I went ahead and started painting in the texture. I started with a flat color laid over the normal map I baked out from the original zbrush sculpt:
From start to finish this guy took me two weeks, working 2-3 hours a day.
I feel like I'm leaving out a million in-between steps but these are the big chunks of process I used to create this guy. I ended up creating a full map set for him, for more professional renders outside of what was required for the Blizzard contest. The Blizzard version was only rendered out with a diffuse map. This version has a diffuse, spec, normal, and emissive map applied but the same polycount.
Maya 2014 student edition
Was playing around in Zbrush all day today and decided to do my first 45min daily sculpt. The theme was Ancient Warlord, Living Food, and Ogre Unicorn. I choose the Ogre Uni.
Unicorns are lame, said no one ever. 45 mins for the sculpt. Started out from a polysphere for both the head and the horn. About 45 mins for the poly paint, and another 45 mins or so to render out all the passes and comp them in photoshop. Even when I try to do more realistic high end rendering my stuff still comes out painterly looking. I used a shadow, AO, and Depth map with the diffuse pass. I was able to get the material spec on the horn looking proper which was nice.
Full Color Finshed:
Zbrush is the greatest avoid-doing-work-by-doing-work program. Decided to flesh out this bust a bit more. We took about an hour and a half to make a quickie bust in class. Took me another two hours to flesh out his body. Not sure which direction I want to continue taking him, but I am loving zbrush so far and the more I learn about the program the more I want to use it .
Below are progress shots.
|Jen Melnick3d Artist and Illustrator||
All Images Copyright © 2011-2016 Jennifer Leigh Melnick.